by John Luke McCord
Since I last talked to you guys a few things have happened. So this will be a three-pronged update with a mix of some baseball and football recruiting.
Turner wins Johnny Bench Award
Mike Bianco has had a number of good catchers in his tenure at Ole Miss, but Stuart Turner was something else. Thursday night he was recognized as the top catcher in college baseball for the 2013 season. He is the first catcher from Ole Miss to win the award. Turner hit .374 and drove in 51 runs in his first and only season in Oxford. He has signed with Minnesota after being drafted 78th overall in the recent MLB draft.
Kendrick Doss commits
Ole Miss got a commitment from a quarterback on Friday. Kendrick Doss of Florence, Alabama, committed to Ole Miss over offers from the likes of Auburn, Tennessee, Nebraska, Mississippi State and Georgia Tech. He is a 6-2 210 dual threat quarterback who may project more as an athlete that could play quarterback. He has a frame that would work at linebacker if that is the way the Ole Miss staff decides to go.
Summer baseball update – Hitters
So I promised earlier in the week when I did the update on the pitchers and their progress in summer leagues that I would give you an update on the hitters, too. Well, here you go.
Auston Bousfield – Cape Cod League – Yarmouth – Dennis
- He has hit a home run so far, but is only hitting .194 in 36 at bats. He has also struck out seven times. It appears that he is still in some sort of elongated funk.
Christian Helsel – Northwoods League – St. Cloud
- He has four hits in twenty-two at bats, including a double. He has struck out three times.
Cameron Dishon – Northwoods League – Thomasville
- He is hitless in 11 at bats through six games. He was also thrown out on his only stolen base attempt.
Holt Perdzock – Northwoods League – Wilson
- He is 6-20 in six games and has struck out six times.
Sikes Orvis – Valley League – Waynesboro
- He is 2-22 with a double and two runs batted in. He has struck out seven times.
These stats are accurate as of Wednesday, June 26, 2013.