A little more on SEMO State.
– Southeast Missouri is 0-4 all-time against the SEC with two losses to Arkansas and two losses to Missouri. Most recently, the Redhawks lost 52-3 at Missouri in 2008. In the four games SEMO has been outscored 147-10 with two shutouts.
– SEMO is 7-26-1 against the state of Mississippi, most of that coming against Delta State against who it is 4-23-1.
– More Ole Miss-SEMO ties. Ole Miss AD Ross Bjork worked with SEMO AD Mark Alnutt at Missouri. Both are in their second seasons at their new schools. SEMO men’s basketball coach Dickey Nutt is the brother of former Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt.
– SEMO’s loss at Southeastern Louisiana was its fourth-straight in a season opener.
– Junior return man Spencer Davis needs 428 yards to set SEMO’s kick return yardage record. He currently has 1,511 total kick return yards. Davis had 1,054 all-purpose yards last season.
– While red is its dominant color, SEMO officials urged their fans to wear black to this game.
– The option-based Redhawks have surpassed 200 yards in rushing in eight of their last nine games. SEMO has led the Ohio Valley Conference and ranked among the top 10 rushing teams in FCS the last three seasons. Last year the Redhawks averaged 262.4 yards rushing yards in a 3-8 season. That ranked No. 8 in FCS.
– Today’s game is the second of three straight away from home for SEMO. The Redhawks play Southern Illinois at the St. Louis Cardinals’ Busch Stadium on on Sept. 21 then open their home season on Sept. 28 against UT-Martin.
– Six SEMO coaches played collegiately at Nebraska starting with head coach Tony Samuel, who played and coached in Lincoln.
– SEMO has two players currently in the NFL.
Here’s a view of some of the blue sideline turf and brick work inside Vaught-Hemingway Stadium. VHS Work
From The SEC Digital Network, one more round of Ole Miss-Vanderbilt highlights as the Rebels get ready for tonight’s home opener against Southeast Missouri State.
Good stuff here including Hugh Freeze’s pre-game speech:
Ole Miss-SEMO At A Glance
Where: Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Oxford (60,580)
Kickoff: 6 p.m.
Television: Pay per view, contact your local provider.
Radio: Ole Miss Network; Sirius 157, XM 199
Records: Ole Miss 1-0, Southeast Missouri State 0-1
Series: First Meeting
Coaches: Southeast Missouri State – Tony Samuel 28-52 eighth season at SEMO, 62-109 16th season overall. Ole Miss – Hugh Freeze, 38-13, fifth season overall; 8-6 second season at Ole Miss.
Statistical Leaders: Southeast Missouri State – RB DeMichael Jackson 8-61 0 TDs. QB Kyle Snyder 6-of-13 passing, 75 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT. WR Spencer Davis 3 catches, 46 yards, 0 TD. LB Ben Kargbo 9 tackles. Ole Miss – RB Jeff Scott 12-138, 1 TD. QB Bo Wallace 31-of-47 passing, 283 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT. WR Laquon Treadwell 9 catches, 82 yards, 0 TD. SS Cody Prewitt 8 tackles, 1 INT.
Trends: The Rebels have won three straight, their longest win streak since 2009. … Ole Miss has won two straight against FCS opponents since a season-opening loss to Jacksonville State in 2010. … Ole Miss is 149-82-7 in games played in September.
Notes: Ole Miss WR coach Grant Heard’s wife, Renata, was the head volleyball coach at Southeast Missouri State from 2005-2010. … Ole Miss AD Ross Bjork worked with SEMO AD Mark Alnutt at the University of Missouri from 2001-2003. … Six Ole Miss players – WR Jordan Holder, WR Laquon Treadwell, G Justin Bell, NT Woodrow Hamilton, DE Robert Nkemdiche and CB Quintavius Burdette – made their first career starts at Vanderbilt. … Scott had 138 rushing yards at Vanderbilt, his eighth 100-yard game. … Treadwell set a school freshman record with nine receptions. … Prewitt’s game-sealing interception was the fourth of his career.
Summing it up: “There was definitely more pressure, and it adds a little higher focus level going into the season and in camp. The excitement level was higher as well. I think any time that you get to put your kids on a national stage and the opening night of college football it’s something that you have to do. If that means you have to play an SEC game to open, we’re certainly alright with that.” – Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze on the significance of the season opener
Prediction: Ole Miss 42, Southeast Missouri State 13