Highlights from Mike Bianco’s preseason presser, which was interrupted by the alarm system going off. It caused about a 15-minute delay, which is far better than we’ll see with rain in the regular season I’m sure.
- The buzz word for the day was toughness. It was talked about all off-season, and some different approaches to handling adversity have been inserted into workouts.
“Last year’s team got off to an unbelievable start at 21-3. Some things didn’t go our way, and we lost a couple of close series. The next thing you know it was hard for us to get back on track. We had some good games, but it was hard for us to gain that confidence back and be the team that we once were,” Bianco said.
- Senquez Golson approached Bianco a few weeks ago about returning to baseball. He got off to a fast with four hits his first weekend then pulled a hamstring. He’s out for a month, effectively ending his baseball season. He will hit and catch fly balls on his own, Bianco said. The expectation is that Golson will rejoin the program in January 2015 after he’s completed his senior football season.
- Rotation for Stetson: Chris Ellis, Christian Trent, a juco transfer lefty and Sam Smith. Ellis and Smith are both junior righties.
- On the infield, Austin Anderson moves from short to third. True freshman Errol Robinson will start at short. Second is open, but senior Preston Overbey, who missed the fall with a bad back, is a leading candidate. Sikes Orvis at first, and Will Allen at catcher.
- Outfield, junior college transfer Braxton Lee in left, Auston Bousfield in center, Will Jamison in center. Freshman J.B. Woodman could get an early start too.
- As many as four newcomers could get early starts, Bianco said.